Thursday, March 24, 2016

I have found a reference to actual cannibalism!!! Weird thing to be excited about, but still! This is incredibly useful as it means that my research may actually have some sort of purpose (or direction, validity, etc.).

Additionally, if I really wanted to, I could probably make a lot of preserves, it seems to be the thing one did in the 17th century. Housewives would make preserves or pies. Very odd, though there weren't any grocery stores. I'm glad there are grocery stores. They make my life worthwhile. Not really, but still. It's nice to have a place to buy junk food and healthy food simultaneously. Makes life exciting.

I tried including an image of one of the primary sources I've been working with as requested. There are difficulties however in loading the image directly onto the post. Instead, if you want to see one of the primary sources, click on the link below. If you go to image 94, you can see the recipe that utilizes mummy. What's really cool is that the death of the mummy is even specified!! For reference, the recipe in question is on the bottom of the right page.

Bridget Hyde

3 comments:

  1. Were humans made into preserves too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are those technically mummies or embalmed folks?

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed viewing the source material...thank you for the link! It is interesting to see many of the herbs and oils that are increasing in popularity to address many of our modern ailments (which really haven't changed). I use frankincense oil in my diffuser at home; however, some of those ingredients are not things I would feel comfortable acquiring :). It is really exciting when you find that first lead in your research...bravo!

    ReplyDelete